Monday 13 June 2011

Nearly everything in place for RHS RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show


With less than four weeks to go until the show, my work now concentrates on looking after those plants I have grown from seeds, but also importantly scheduling and arranging the delivery of the garden components, plants and the installation which starts at midday on Monday 13th June.

The Cube Lighting garden will be a Show Feature at the Hampton Court Palace Flower Show rather than a Show Garden. In other words, the garden won’t be eligible to win any awards. I originally applied to submit a Show Garden, but the Cube Lighting garden is so unique that it sat outside the criteria for judging.

This garden is so different to anything I’ve ever done previously and has been very difficult to design. Nothing can stop light except a solid wall which prevents viewing of the garden. As the garden is inside a marquee there are height restrictions and light will be bouncing off surfaces. It’s very exciting.
The garden will be basically installed from scratch at the show. In the past I have been able to ‘pre-pack’ my garden and have stored gardens components in my garage ready for installation. But this year my partners and suppliers will need to deliver components and install them at the site.

Fortunately I will have lots of expert help and I expect this is going to be a fun but exhausting four weeks. I have two key installers partners, Ray Carter Landscapes of Abingdon are my main installers, with Paramount Paving of Swanley, Kent looking after the polished sandstone hard landscaping, which has been donated by Brett Landscaping. Paramount Paving are Brett Approved Installers and are really excellent.

Finnforest are helping with the public walkway which will be deck boards inlayed with artificial turf. This makes a good temporary but hard-wearing, non-slip pathway which should perform throughout the week, no matter what the weather throws at us. S3i will help with the public stainless steel fence and Chris from Easy Life Ground Maintenance will support and help Ray in his task of getting everything ready so everyone has space to work efficiently in time for the show.

There are many other elements to the garden which need to be scheduled. The lighting will of course be supplied by Cube Lighting, my main sponsor. We are using low energy LED lighting which will not scorch plants like traditional garden lighting can. In total, we are using only 607 watts for the entire garden. I’m hoping that visitors appreciate what can be achieved with low energy lighting and will think about what they can do to enjoy their own gardens after dark.

I will post another update soon so call back in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment